In a reservation's financial tab you can perform the following actions:
Collect a payment
Once you have connected your account to Stripe, you have the option inside each reservation to insert the credit card information and charge it.
You can either charge the card immediately, or schedule several payments for future dates. For example, once you receive a new reservation, you can set up two charges: one immediate charge of $100 and a second one for the remainder of the payment on the check-in date.
Currently, we only allow the collection of payments for non-Airbnb reservations.
Collecting a payment from a new credit card
- Choose a specific reservation, go to the Financials tab and hit the Collect payment button.
- Fill in the amount of money you wish to collect - By default, the number will be the outstanding balance. Note that the minimum amount of money you can charge is $0.50 and cannot exceed the Outstanding Balance of this reservation.
- In the "Method" drop-down menu choose "New credit card" - If you have already saved a card on the guest you will see it in the drop-down menu as an optional payment method.
- Due date - Do you want to collect the money right now or schedule it for a later date? If you schedule it for a later date we will automatically save the card for the guest so you'll be able to update these future payments along the way.
- Credit card info - As simple as it can be.
- Save card for guest - Do you want to use this credit card info for any future transactions? It can be either for this specific reservation or any future reservations which this guest may book in your place.
Activating a card will not give you access to the actual credit card info but only the ability to charge it when needed.
- Send a receipt - Decide if you wish to send a receipt to your guest or to any other email address you wish.
- Hit collect - It might take a few seconds until the payment is confirmed so be patient :)
Place an Authorization Hold
What is it for?
- Verifying a credit card: if you have successfully placed an authorization hold, the card is valid.
- Security Deposit: funds can be held to make sure the card will have sufficient funds for a later payment
What is it?
An authorization hold is an action of freezing funds on a credit card for a limited time.
Where is it?
How to use it?
The authorization hold expires within 7 days and the funds are then automatically released from the credit card into the account.
During these 7 days the owner can charge the authorization hold which will:
- Release the funds from the credit card at any point
- Charge the funds (but not more than the held amount)
Once the funds have been released, you will see an added payment line in that reservation
Creating a new authorization hold setup example
In the following example, we have set an authorization hold to collect the rest of the payment at booking confirmation, and charge the hold 1 day before check-in.
1 The first step is to open the listing and click Automation
2 Click AutoPayments
3 Click Add
4 Click Authorization Hold
5 Click the Authorization hols that was created
6 Click Check in
7 Click Confirmation
8 Scroll down and click No Select
9 Click Yes
10 Click At
11 Click Before
12 Click Hours
13 Click Days
14 Scroll down and click Save
15 Click Yes and you are done!
Here's an interactive tutorial for the visual learners
Collecting payments from within an authorization hold
- Go to the reservation > Financials tab > Payments
- Click Charge Hold
- Fill in the amount you would like to charge.
- Click Charge.
Funds that won't be charged will be released
You cannot capture an amount bigger than the payout.
In case you would like to collect a security deposit, please add it as a new invoice item. The total payout will update accordingly.
It failed because the card doesn't have the funds.
The Stripe fee will only be applied if the captured funds were charged.