Custom Fields enable you to freely add any defining details to your listings and reservations. By adding your own Custom Fields, you are adding more ways to filter through reservations, more ways to search for specific information, and ways to share the data that is important to your business.
What can you do with Custom Fields?
By creating your own Custom Fields for a listing, you can store data that is important for that property as a whole. For example, you can create a field titled "home owner" or one titled "lease expiration date" and then you can fill in the field accordingly.
While every vacation rental business works a little bit differently, it's essential to be able to customize information according to each reservation. For example, you can create a Custom Field where you can input your guests' flight numbers, one for any issues that may have come up during the guest's stay, one where you can input an alternating lockbox code, etc.
For every Custom Field that you create, you will then be able to display that information as its own column in your reservations reports. This allows you to easily create a report that includes, say, check-in and check-out dates, name of guest, and whatever custom text you've added to that listing or to that reservation (i.e.home owner, lease date, guest flight number, guest issues, alternating lockbox, etc.).
For every Custom Field that you create, you will then be able to filter your reservations reports according to the info within it. For example, if you have added a Custom Field with "owner's name", you can then filter your reservation view so that it displays only the listings owned by that person.
Every account can have multiple users, who can work together when adding, editing, and updating your account's information – including that within the Custom Fields. This way, your team can work collaborate inside the dashboard, at the same time. Moreover, all reports that are created with columns sorted by your Custom FIelds, or filters displaying the info in your Custom Fields, can be shared with anyone you choose.
Each one of these fields can be used as a filter for automated messages, making it crucial that each field has some information in it. For example, let's assume you have two different check-in automated messages, one for guests who use the sofa bed and another one for guests who don't. The automated messages filter can say - send the sofa bed manual only if the reservation's custom field of "Should make up sofa bed" is toggled On. However, you know that most of the time guests don't use the sofa, so you can set the toggle to show "No" as default, preventing from the sofa manual automated message to be sent out in irrelevant cases
Adding a new Custom Field
- Go to Account>System Settings
- Under the Custom Fields header you will see two sections: (1) Listing and (2) Reservation. Choose the section you want to add a new custom field for.
- Add the name of the field (the name of your Custom Field is how the field will be displayed as a sorting column and as a filter).
Notice how a unique custom variable is created based on the name you choose (removing all spaces, special characters, and capitals).
- Add the field's type. You can choose between text, long text, option, date, time, yes/no, a team member, or a contact. The type of the field will keep the information consistent and accurate.
- If you choose the option type, add all possible options using the + button before saving. These can be edited later. For example, if a custom field was 'Extra services' and the options included airport pickup, breakfast, and laundry, you would add each option.
- Click on the Add button for either the listing or the reservation section
- Edit a custom field's name or privacy option by clicking on the pencil icon. Don't forget to Save your changes with the save button on the top of the list.
Setting up a default value
Once you created a reservation custom field in the Account Settings, you can adjust its default settings for each one of the listings specifically.
- Click on the listing in which you wish to update the default value of the custom field.
- Click on the Properties tab and scroll down to Default values for reservation extra information
- Fill in the information you wish to include as default and click Save.
- Go to any one of your reservations.
- On the bottom left side, you will see the Extra Information block. In it, you will see all of your reservation's Custom Fields.
- Add or change the information you need, and click Save.
Default information will only be applied for new reservations.