Custom Fields enable you to freely add any defining details to your listings and reservations. By adding your own Custom Fields, you are adding more ways to filter through reservations, more ways to search for specific information, and additional to share the data that is important to your business.
The biggest difference between custom fields on a listing level and reservation ones is the frequency of updating them. For example, on a listing level the property manager will set the custom field of 'Check in' instructions once per listing, whilst a reservation's custom field will have specific fields relative to the guest ie: handicap, pets, flight number, passport number which will be updated on a reservation bases.
In this article you will learn about -
What can you do with Custom Fields?
1. Save Information Relevant To An Entire Listing
By creating your own Custom Fields for a listing, you can store data that is important for that property as a whole. For example, you can create a field titled "home owner" or one titled "lease expiration date" and then you can fill in the field accordingly.
2. Save Information Relevant To A Specific Reservation
While every vacation rental business works a little bit differently, it's essential to be able to customize information according to each reservation. For example, you can create a Custom Field in which you can input your guests' flight numbers, one in which you can input any issues that may have come up during the guests stay, one in which you can input an alternating lockbox code, etc.
3. See/Sort Reservations According To The Info In Your Custom Fields
For every Custom Field that you create, you will then be able to display that information as its own column in your reservations reports. This allows you to easily create a report that includes, say, check-in and check-out dates, name of guest, and whatever custom text you've added to that listing or to that reservation (i.e.home owner, lease date, guest flight number, guest issues, alternating lockbox, etc.).
4. Filter Reservations According To The Info In Your Custom Fields
For every Custom Field that you create, you will then be able to filter your reservations reports according to the info within it. For example, if you have added a Custom Field with "owner's name", you can then filter your reservation view so that it displays only the listings owned by that person.
5. Work Together On Custom Fields Inside The Dashboard or Share Customized Reports Externally
Every account can have multiple users, who can work together when adding, editing, and updating your account's information – including that within the Custom Fields. This way, your team can work collaborate inside the dashboard, at the same time.
Moreover, all reports that created with columns sorted by or filters displaying the info in your Custom Fields can be shared with anyone you choose.
6. Reservation custom fields as filters for automated messages (hooks)
Each one of these fields can be used as a filter for automated messages, making it crucial that the field have some information in it. For example, let's assume you have two different check-in automated messages, one for guests who use the sofa bed and another one for guests who don't. The automated messages filter can say - send the sofa bed manual only if the reservation's custom field of "Should make up sofa bed" is toggled On. However, you know that most of the time guests don't use the sofa, so you can set the toggle to show "No" as default, preventing from the sofa manual automated message to be sent out in irrelevant cases.
How can you add a new Custom Field?
1. Go to "Account" -> "System Settings"
2. Under the "Custom Fields" header you will see two sections: (1) Listing and (2) Reservation.
3. Click on the "Add a field" button for either the listing or the reservation section.
4. Add the name of the field (the name of your Custom Field is how the field will be displayed as a sorting column and as a filter).
5. Add the field's type. You can choose between text, long text, date, time, Yes/No, a team member, or a contact. The type of the field will keep the information consistent and accurate.
6. Click Save at the bottom of the page and refresh to generate the variable name.
How do I set up a default value?
For a listing's Custom Field:
Once you created a reservation custom field in the Account Settings, you can adjust its default settings for each one of the listings specifically.
1. Click on the listing in which you wish to update the default value of the custom field.
2. Click on the "Properties" tab and scroll down to "Default values for reservation extra information".
3. Fill in the information you wish to include as default and click "Save".
For a reservation's Custom Field:
1. Go to any one of your reservations.
2. On the bottom left side, you will see the Extra Information block. In it, you will see all of your reservation's Custom Fields.
3. Add or change the information you need, and click save.
** Please note that the default information will only be applied for new reservations.